Since tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday, a time when celebrities
and role models become hot topics, I’d like to tell you about two people whom
I highly esteem, and who certainly are not your run-of-the-mill kind of folk.
In our local area, there are twin brothers, both seemingly vagabonds,
who have peppered my life with their presence over the past several years. I can remember the first time I meet
them. I was managing the ShadeTree Publishing
booth at a local book fair when one of the brothers stopped by to chat. Shortly after leaving, “he” returned again to talk
some more; however, I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t recall any of our
previous conversation. It wasn’t until
later that I realized “he” was actually a set of twin brothers. While other people may remember these two men
by their somewhat comedic appearance, I have a totally different reason – they
inspire me to be a better person. Not because of what they have or have not. No.
It’s because of what they give. Every year, I look forward to the annual book fair because I know that I will get to visit with these brothers. They are unlike any other people who stop by our booth. They never come with personal agendas or manipulating conversations aimed at convincing me to either buy or publish something. They simply stop by to visit, and when our chats are over, they leave me feeling refreshed and like they genuinely enjoyed my fellowship. I want to be like that. I want to be someone who lifts up others and leaves them feeling like they have a true friend and not one who feigns friendship for hidden personal gain.
During one of the many book fairs, the brothers made their
annual stop at our booth. One of them showed
an interest in my books. Now normally, I
would have flipped my salesman switch and gone for the gold; however, this time
I couldn’t bring myself to do it because I presumed that they needed what
little money they had for food instead of my books. Despite my attempts to dissuade him, he insisted
on purchasing the book and wouldn’t accept it for free. Simply put – he wanted to bless me and
encourage me in my early writing career. I want to be like that. I want to be
willing to sacrifice personal things to encourage others, especially when they
are just getting started on their journey.
So today I had the pleasure of running across these brothers
again in a local gas station. After chatting with them briefly (and walking
away yet blessed again), I made my way to the candy aisle to appease my sweet
tooth. After much contemplation and negotiation with my better judgment, I
chose my delight and headed to the checkout where I found one of the brothers declining
his purchase because he didn’t have enough money to cover the cost. I
immediately thought, Ah ha! Here is my chance to bless them in return for the
many times they blessed me. I added
their item to my own purchases and happily paid the bill. The brother was
beyond himself with gratitude. My heart began to swell as he thanked me with
such tenderness. But alas, in this moment when I thought I would get to bless
him, his watery eyes brimming with gratitude melted my heart, and there I
stood, blessed again, this time by his appreciative soul. I want to be like
that. I want to be someone whose overflow of genuine thankfulness touches
others.
I’m looking forward to my next chance encounter with these
two mysterious gents. I have no idea
whether they are Christians or not, but I can say one thing – every time I
encounter them, they show me the love of Christ, and I really want to be like that.

Amen!
ReplyDeleteIn my eyes YOU are just like that!!!
ReplyDeleteYou inspire me too, Viv!!
DeleteIn my eyes YOU are just like that!
ReplyDeleteIn my eyes YOU are just like that!
ReplyDeleteYour desire to be like that has been granted. You have certainly been a blessing to me!
ReplyDelete